01/13/15 – Character Creation Preview
Screenshot #1: Character Creation
Since this is the first screenshot we’re releasing of the game, we thought it would be fitting to make it a preview of character creation — the first thing most players will encounter when playing the game.
Why show character creation first? A few reasons:
– This a functional prototype of character creation (with actual 2D and 3D game assets), not just a mockup. The character (the Knight archetype) is a fully modeled and animated avatar.
– That character will give you a small taste of the Character art style. Compare this character to our concepts, you can see that we’re shooting for a fairly literal translation of the style.
– This shot shows off the initial class (archetype) selection options, exposing the wide array of base characters (archetypes)
– It also provides solid hints at the inner working of a handful of core systems: Combat, movement, skills, advancement and (of course) character creation / customization
– It showcases the user interface style. As you can see, we’re going for a streamlined and modern look — emphasizing quick access to game information over the standard “parchment and leather” fare.
There is more to this one than meets the eye… the clues are there, for those with a solid design instinct and an eye for detail.
P.S. btw, don’t take any of these numbers as gospel. Many of these values will change (probably have already) — and in fact, the scale will even change — as the various systems snap into focus.